Monday, 18 April 2016

3-D print

18.04.16

This is my first 3D print trial. Everything ran smoothly leading up to the print and my model was ready to go as an stl. file with no errors. When choosing settings on Cura I was unsure of what would be the most compatible for my model: 

I scaled it up slightly to 70x70x70mm
Layer height was 0.3 and shell thickness was 0.8
Speed set to 30mm/s 
Fill density was 15%
I turned on 'support everywhere' and used a brim
In total it was 42grams and took just over 2.5 hours to print

The model printed accurately and ran relatively smoothly for a first print. The use of support kept everything aligned and straight which was positive as I was concerned about the extensions of the E. Some issues I faced were that overall the model was too fragile and I made a crack through the bottom of the E when removing excess filament. Also the print itself didn't come out as a smooth surface and instead had small gaps between each layer, after speaking with Greg I discovered this was due to print speed and potentially the temperature.

For my next iteration I will adjust print settings to correct the minor faults that this model has and consider creating slots in the sides of the letters to attach the model to a laser cut base.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment